We all have pet peeves...
It just so happens I came across one of mine on campus today and decided to share the experience. I overheard (in this case it was really overhearing and not eavesdropping, which I sometimes do too) a girl discussing her height with her oh so intrigued boyfriend. "Look at me, I'm pretty much a midget," is what she said. In reality though, she was maybe 1/2 inch shorter than I am. I am 5'5''. That, my friends, is AVERAGE for an American woman according to Wikipedia (yes, I know Wikipedia is not always correct; just go with me on this one).Now, I understand why girls want to be labeled as "short." The word short goes along with words such as petite, small, little, etc. which is what most girls want to be known as. What they fail to realize is when they label themselves as short/petite/small, they label the rest of us tall/giant/large. (Now I don't know about you, but I don't want the word large associated with my name unless it is describing the size of Diet Coke I'm drinking). Honestly though, I feel like most girls that complain about their height really have nothing to be complaining about.
You generally don't hear really small girls drawing additional attention to themselves (kind of like you don't hear really fat people telling anyone and everyone that they are really fat, note, I don't know any really fat people, this is hypothetical).
My opinion is that you don't reserve the right to claim you are short when you are in actuality closer to average height. (When I say claim, I mean exclaim to the world. You can tell yourself whatever you want.) Now, usually in this situation, after someone claims how short they are, they turn to me and exclaim "look at Chelsie, she is just SO tall."Wait a minute. Last time I checked, I was of an average height. Just because you want the world to think that you are a tiny little thing does not mean you have to point fingers at me to make yourself feel better. Many times I am the tallest girl in the room (this is the case in my family) and I don't always like attention drawn to it. I will admit, there was a time in my life I wished I was "small" like some of my friends (I was a 6th grade ballerina). I am much happier now that I've realized that I am not some freak-of-nature giant, I am an average girl and just perfect the way I am.
There is nothing wrong with being tall. There is nothing wrong with being short.
There is nothing wrong with being AVERAGE.
There is nothing wrong with being AVERAGE.
***A note to my readers who are small people (you know who you are). I am not referring to you.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Chelsie Jolley Toone: I love you and your average height. A lot. And you're right, you're perfect just the way you are. Love you lots and lots!!
ReplyDeleteI would never have thought of you as a tall, giant person Chels!! :) So reading this made me laugh!!! :)
ReplyDeleteI would like to say, for the record, Ditto. I hate it when people make stuff up and get overdramatic about it just because they think it make themselves look cute. It just makes them look silly!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I have never once thought of you as big or So Tall - so there. :-)